Back to the funny and well done first episode, They Do It With Mirrors (2013) by Eric Woreth, of the season 2 of a series aired on French television France 2: Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games (Les petits meurtres d’Agatha Christie).
Three murders are committed in a luxurious experimental rehabilitation center, La Main tendue, directed by Rose-Marie Bousquet (Catherine Mouchet), a rich and generous heiress, very fond of her husband Étienne (Olivier Rabourdin), an idealist doctor who intends to reinstate mentally insane young people in an ideal world. From the first murder, Chief Inspector Laurence (Samuel Labarthe) arrives for this first investigation. He discovers his new secretary, Marlène (Élodie Frenck), and Alice Avril (Blandine Bellavoir) who dreams of being a field journalist at “La Voix du Nord”. As soon as she learned about the murder at La Main tendue, Alice managed to get hired as a servant there. On the spot, she discovers that they are neither the most insane nor delinquents who are the more threatening…
Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games
episode They Do It With Mirrors
With a mood of the 50’s in which the director does not hesitate to parody the cinematic codes, the male chauvinist and self-confident Chief Inspector Laurence leads the investigation in an experimental rehabilitation center for madmen. In Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games‘ episode, They Do It With Mirrors, he is portrayed by the excellent actor Samuel Labarthe who plays like Jean Dujardin‘s OSS 117 in Michel Hazanavicius eponymous film.
If the story is not completely successful (the setting of the center and its occupants are not enough present) and if its ends disappoints a little, two supporting roles are are very good too:
- Alice Avril, the surprising problem page journalist who wants to become an investigative journalist, played by Blandine Bellavoir, an actress with great potential of humour ;
- Marlène, the naive and superficial blonde secretary of the Chief Inspector Laurence, magnificently played by the talented Elodie Frenck.
In short, despite its imperfections, Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games new version is an entertainment not to be missed!
To learn more:
- Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games episode They Do It With Mirrors was broadcasted on March 29, 2013 on France 2
Top 3 Cinema: "Blade Runner" (1982), "Breathless" (1960), "Casablanca" (1942)
Top 3 TV: "Spiral" (2005 -...), "The Wire" (2002-2008), "Twin Peaks" (1990-1991)
Latest posts by Jean-Christophe Nurbel (see all)
- Video / Sam Mendes has presented “1917” in Paris - 2019-12-03
- [Review] “Aladdin” (2019) by Guy Ritchie - 2019-05-28
- [Review] “Safe” (2018) by Harlan Coben: A Canal +/Netflix series - 2018-05-15